Saturday, July 14, 2012

An Early Update

So yesterday I had a doctor appointment. I had been suffering from some intense pain and decided I couldn't make it until Monday. I'm glad I had decided to go because there were a few things that needed to be addressed.

My incision: My original incision ( minus the re-opening) was and still is healing fine. However, the skin closest to the first two pin sites got pulled and caused some tearing of the skin. It isn't really that bad, but its a problem. So basically every time i was turning the fixator I was tearing my skin a bit.

My lengthening: My doctor eye balled my foot and said that we were about done turning the fixator. Then he sent me for an x ray. The x ray revealed that my metatarsal heads are lined up. Which means I'm DONE turning the fixator! Yay!!!!!

If I had waited for my Monday appointment I believe there would have been a possibility of me over lengthening and that would have been an issue. So, I'm glad I made that appointment. Also since I haven't been turning my pain has decreased a little. Not a lot, but its better.

I must say that I am not pleased with the cosmetic look of my toe. Its lengthened and I know it. I lengthened the toe about an inch, but my toe still seems to float a bit and the toe itself looks short. I asked the doctor would it continue to float and he said probably so and that its not floating but my second and third toe are laying lower because of the flexors and tendons in my foot (or something to that effect). I also asked him (for about the third time) if my toe bone itself was short. He looked at the x ray and said it was a little short, but there is no way to lengthen that bone. I was thinking to myself, "well why have I read blogs on other people getting fillers to correct their short toe bones." However, I didn't ask him about it. Maybe I will at the next appointment.

He scheduled me to come back in 2 weeks. He wants me to let the bone grow in for 3 weeks before he takes the fixator off. However, I'm hoping by the time I go back he sees bone growth and I can have it taken off the last week of July. At this point I feel like I am soooo over this surgery.  I feel like everything that could have gone wrong actually did, but I don't regret it. I just know to do more research next time before having a serious surgery. After all, I do need my feet to walk (lol)

So at this point I just hope my toe loosens up (its stiff) and I hope that it settles down and falls into place with the other toes. If that happened I would be satisfied. If my scar isn't that bad that would be a plus (even though I plan to get a tattoo over the site of the scar)!

Also, I've experienced some of that involuntary flexing too!!! Not fun!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Precious. I too have ran into a few complications but I knew ahead of time everything doesn't always come out as planned. Good luck with the rest of your recovery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better and thru distracting, it's not much fun. Looking forward to seeing how your foot looks. Try not to worry about it too much, my toe is still settling into place and it's been weeks since my last surgery. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete